Irish Red Ale

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Description:
In the great Irish brewing tradition, Irish Red Ale is a bitter ale with a tan foam and deep red copper tones. Creamy on the palate with hints of mocha and cinnamon, and scents of toffee, toast and fruit. This brew’s a conversation starter.

Beer Characteristics
Alcohol by Volume - 4.5%

Colour - 35

Bitterness - 18

Brewing Program - Ale

Approximate Brewing Time (Primary) - 6-14 days

Inside the Box
2x E2
2x X3
1x Y2
2x P
1x Droid Cleanse

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Tried this last night after 4 weeks in secondary, a nice summer beer without a doubt, a mate and I both thought however it lacked body.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
I just tried my Irish Red Ale today after 5 weeks conditioning in the keg.
Mine poured really heady but settled very quickly after a couple of minutes was ok to drink.
I thought it tasted very similar to Kilkenny.
Darren, how well did your Irish Red Ale pour from the BrewFlo?
I have also noticed that the lighter beers seem a bit watery compared to the stronger beers so with this being 4.5% alcohol it doesn't use as many ingredients so it might benefit from some extra light dry malt to increase the body and give it a better mouthfeel.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Was a bit heady but certainly nothing like the German Weissbier and I think all the others with the exception to the American Pale Ale (I think this would have to be the best pouring beer I've experienced).

Settled down the same by the sound of it just needs a bit more body imho.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
I will see how it goes after a couple more glasses but think I'll try putting it back in the fridge for a bit longer. I did pre-chill it in the fridge for about 14 hours before putting it in the BrewFlo but think it might need to be chilled some more.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Mine was sitting in secondary for 5 weeks so plenty of time on that front and then went in the fridge for about 36 hours before hurling it into the BrewFlo.

Might have another glass and see how it goes.

Jaydub

BrewArt Rookie
Glad i read this as my Sparkling Ale is currently cold crashing and my next batch os going to be the Irish Red Ale. Ill be adding 500gm LDM as its definitely not a beer that you want to be thin.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Haven't managed to have another glass but my impression and the mates definitely lacked body so hopefully 500g LDM is the trick, keen to hear how it works as I have another Irish Red Ale BrewPrint sitting there waiting after a few kegs are emptied.