How much sugar for secondary fermentation

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
A few of the guys might be able to jump in but I believe kegging is around 30g per L was about the priming rate.

I'm still using the priming pouches which I'm finding varied results.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
I’m taking more of interest in this now I haven’t tried any I have bulk primed but interested in knowing what others have tried and how it ended up?

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Tried my first batch of bulk priming @ 5g per L, needs a few more g per L imho but I must say it was an absolute pleasure pouring from the BrewFlo and not have to bother waiting for the head to drop down to then go about filling up again and again and again.

I do actually have batch I did @ 8g per L so it will be interesting to compare the two.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
A bit more feedback on bulk priming, I have found after a number of batches 8g Dextrose per L to be the sweet spot for the ales / lagers I have done.

6g wasn't bad but I felt needed a little more.

Dean

BrewArt Rookie
To bulk prime do I just pour the required amount of dextrose in & stir ? Do I let it sit for a few hours or a day before I keg or bottle ?

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
I have only done 3 batches now so if wrong please someone correct me.

Yep mix up the dextrose with some boiled water and to ensure no nasties get in I cover it with cling wrap to cool for 15 minutes.

Take off the cling wrap when ready to use give it a quick stir again and pour roughly half in each keg.

Bottling on the other hand I haven’t done but imagine the same process except putting it in the BeerDroid and leaving for 24 hours before bottling.

Banjo

BrewArt Rookie
Be careful not to over prime or your kegs will balloon out and won't fit in the Brew Flow anymore. Or switch to stainless steel kegs which can take more pressure.

Deeks

BrewArt Rookie
I have been using about 20g per keg for a while and have been getting good results.
I just dissolve 20g in some warm water and th n pour the solution into the keg.
The carbonation of the beer is also effected by how well the conditioning or secondary fermentation is done.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Hard to find that happy medium, currently got one in the BrewFlo at present which is 7g/L and heady as hell.

But doesn’t seem over carbonated to me, might just stick with 5g/L and see how it goes with a number of batches.

Interesting though Deeks you have had good results with 4g/L.

All mine sit in secondary for a minimum of 4-6 weeks, get the odd one @ bang on 4 weeks but still finding it varies from batch to batch, hoping the keg spears help.

Dean

BrewArt Rookie
My last 5 kegs using the last of my BrewArt primer have been fine now I’m using the multigrips instead of gripping with my hand

Kevin

BrewArt Rookie
I have completed the following brewprints Australian Larger and Aztec Cerveza and a Bombshell Blonde , both taste good but no carbonation when dispensing from the BrewFlow, when sitting the beer looks flat and at the price of brewprints I have tried the following

I put down a Deliverance Ultra , using %50 of the wort,
500g Dextrose, Steel Pac using 50% and 15 g Morgans yeast, I have bottled with 2 carbonation drops and the carbonation is good so is the taste

The next one was Beer Makers Bitter using using %50 of the wort, storing the other, 500g Dextrose, and 15 g Morgans yeast,
I kegged these using 40 g of sugar to carbonate etc and was both only head, I also kegged a Australian Larger brewprint using the same amount of sugar and the outcome was the same

The above custom brews have been set to the following, Propagation 22 deg C, Fermentation 12 deg C, Bottling 18 deg C

Looks like I need to try 20 g
Thoughts
KW

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
I kegged one yesterday and went 20g per keg, finding the BrewFlo deliver 3/4s head but the second glass is virtually no head.

That is based on 7g/L

Can’t wait to try the new keg liners and spears.