Hops Hop additions and when?

Discussion in 'Ingredients' started by Darren, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Darren

Darren Site Administrator Staff Member

Been going through my head of late how do we go about adding hops and at what stage, I am sure I won't be alone in thinking this so thought I'd kick something off and I'm intrigued to find out based on what we plan on trying and even experienced to date.

I came from a AG background where you added them to the boil, never once did I dry hop though.

Based on what I recall as it was a few years ago you added then at different stages of the boil to produce flavour, aroma and bitterness.

My plan is simple try what BrewPrints I have literally sit on the shelf, those that I like or those that I think can be improved by hop additions, at this point I will begin playing around with the additions which brings me to at what point contributes to what part of flavour, aroma and bitterness?

Basic options I see we have are as follows:

1- In with the yeast, elements and enhancers
    2- Open up the fermenter after a few days - I don't like this idea due to unwanted bacteria but each to their own
    3- At kegging time

At which point does it effect the flavour, aroma and bitterness?

At least initially I will be sticking with the pouches of BrewArt hops unless I get back into growing my own hops but this probably won't happen for a while.

Interested to hear what experiences we've had out there, as in my experience some beers just outright need hops and more the merrier.

My next batch will be the Coopers Pale Ale which to my surprise didn't have any hops, as suggested by Deeks the H7 Hops seem to be the right choice or that style. I intend on putting 1 pouch of H7 hops in one keg and 2 pouches of H7 in another keg so a good starting point to taste the difference but that also means trying them at around the same secondary fermentation time.

Cheers
    Darren

2. Deeks

Deeks BrewArt Rookie

I will be planning on trying some real hops instead of the Brewart liquid stuff soon as well once I've done a few more BrewPrints.
    I will try substituting the hops in the BrewPrints for the ones that I listed in the other thread for hop types.
    I'm thinking the easiest way to add the hops to the brew is to make a hop tea and then add this to the keg when I am kegging. Hopefully during conditioning the hops will add flavour and aroma to the beer.
    To make the hop tea I am going to mix 10g of hops with about 200ml of hot water and let it sit in the plunger for 10 minutes. I will then use the plunger to remove the hop scum and pour half the liquid into each keg. I will even add the dextrose to this hop tea as well to prime the keg.
    I have heard a bit of criticism about the hop liquid on other forums so I will see if this hop tea turns out better.

3. Jaydub

Jaydub BrewArt Rookie

I wouldn't go with option 1 purely based on readings other people's comments in regards to primary fermentation eliminating the hop aromas while it produces CO2. I go with option 2 in adding it once EOF is complete then cold crashing for 5-7 days.

I also use hops from my LHBS as well as the Brewart liquid hop sachets.

I have done this twice and both times turned out great, although I probably over did the second dry hop with 15g into 200ml then also added the tea bag to the brew. Next time I will drop to 10g pellets and not add the bag.

4. Darren

That's plenty to digest, still really unsure about opening up the BeerDroid after fermenting, a scary thought but I guess if everything is sanitised then it won't be an issue - perhaps a little too paranoid.

Just confirming and refreshing my memory as I researched it years ago but never followed through, add 10g of your choice of hops to 200ml boiling water then let it cool before putting it in keeping covered until requiring it?

Actually this just got me thinking, ~$10 for 100g of whatever hops from my LHBS that's $1 per batch vs purchasing BrewArt Hops for $7 per batch I am seeing a mammoth saving right there in itself.

Then slightly off topic but if you were to purchase 1kg of Light Dried Malt Extract (X1) based on my research this is ~$9 from my LHBS, I don't know how much is in each of the bags but I certainly wouldn't imagine anywhere near a kilo we start to see the price of each brew come down to very very little when you think about this.

Just need to workout the Elements :)

5. Deeks

Deeks BrewArt Rookie

Yeah I have heard someone added hops during the ferment and infected the beer when they opened up the Droid so I wouldn't recommend doing it. Best bet is to wait until EOF and then chuck in the dry hops then but just make sure you are quick with the lid to reduce the chance of infection.

That will work with boiling the hops then letting it cool and pour it in. That is what I will be doing.

I agree that the BrewArt ingredients are quite expensive when compared to alternative products although I think this is due to the convenience of using pre-packaged ingredients and also BrewArt are marketing themselves as a premium product.
    I can't blame them tho as they are also trying to get a return on their investment as well.
    I actually think the enhancers are quite reasonable priced apart form the dextrose. I think there is 250g in each enhancer pack. The dry malts are $3.50 to $4 per 250g which I can get 1kg for $12 from a homebrew shop so that isn't too badly priced. The dextrose is $3 per 250g which I can get 1kg for $4 so that is a bit over priced.

The elements are hopped malt and I think they will be similar to the Coopers kits. I have been having a bit of a look into these and will add some more to the Elements post.

The bittering of the hops is done by boiling the hops in the dry malt. Not exactly sure how it is done but have read about it. Since the bittering is already done with the Elements then you don't need to worry about doing this. Although if you want to use a different hops for bittering then you could do this instead of using the Elements so that you have more control over the bitterness of the beer. As far as I know Coopers use Pride of Ringwood hops to bitter their extract DIY kits so I'm thinking BrewArt may use the same for the Elements.

6. Darren

I guess this is what we are here for, get the most out of our BrewArt system and these tips right here are helping us along that path, I am certainly going to take a few of these helpful tips and go out on a limb and try something different in the near future.

First big step will be heading down the dextrose path, easy savings right there and as I run out of BrewPrints well why not have a crack at buying some of the ingredients individually and having some fun at the same time saving a few extra dollars.

Honestly I can't blame BrewArt either, they've spent goodness knows how much on R&D only fair to claim it back, they've come out with a top / novel product that is sure to excite the home brew industry.

Looking at my LHBS the dried malt extracts are about ~$40 for 5kg, granted need to buy multiple lots but hell that's a lot of beer to made :Drink: then just a matter of storage them in suitable containers although it shouldn't be hard to track something.

7. Maximus

Maximus BrewArt Rookie

The video says add the hops at option 2 when bottling for a 24 hr period but, it doesn't say what stage the droid is left at that 24 hr period , kegging or storage ?

8. Darren

Once end of fermentation has been detected it automatically moves into kegging mode, this is when the hops should be added and then leave for 24 hours.

I stuffed up with the last batch and already emptied 5L into a keg before realising I needed to add the hops as I was bottling.

After removing 5L it wouldn't keep the temperature so I ended up bottling it after a few hours from memory, yet to establish whether bottles taste the same or different.

9. Ballaratguy

Ballaratguy BrewArt Rookie

Ok guys ive decided to make a lighthouse and want to dry hop instead of using the brewprint hops
    i was wondering about droid settingsvwhilst dry hopping, do I:
    just turn off the droid during the 2 or 3 days I intend to dry hop?
    Leave the droid powered up but nothing set as far as temp etc?
    Leave the droid in store mode?
    Or some other setting?
    Sorry if this seems dasic but there are a lot of unwritten things with brewing that we newbies dont know!

10. Banjo

Banjo BrewArt Rookie

I would usually dry hop towards the end of fermentation period or for a couple of days after end of fermentation is reached while the droid is at kegging temperature. Just let the droid do its thing, don't turn it off or anything.

11. Dean

Dean BrewArt Rookie

I have tried a few different ways, done a boil of fresh cascade hops & added at start of Pale Ale brew, result was beer was more bitter & some increase in aroma. Have also dry hop around day 4 or 5 & leave until EOF, result with 4 brews so far is beer full of aroma & the best best I've done so far. Next I will try dry hopping at EOF & then leaving for 3-4 days in storage mode.

12. Ballaratguy

Ballaratguy BrewArt Rookie

I was thinking of doing a smallishvtea bag to add a small amount of bitterness (not that I'm a lover of bitter beer) and tgen to dry hop after fermentation
    any suggestions as th what hops, quantity for both additions?

13. Dean

Dean BrewArt Rookie

Maybe go with 25g of hops to make a tea with, pour tea in at start along with the tea bag, then on day 5 add another 25g bag for dry hop. You can use more hops if you want for the dry hop to increase aroma, just experiment til you find what you like.

As for which hop, depends on the type of beer you are doing, some lend themselves more towards IPA's while others suit Pale Ales, each packet of hops will usually have a description on what aromas you can expect. I like Citra , Amarillo, Cascade, Galaxy just to name a few. A good home brew shop will have a large selection to choose from.