Darren's BeerDroid Brew Log

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
How long did you end up leaving it? I am only attempting to put them in the BrewFlo once they've hit minimum 4 weeks or close to.

Had the German Weissbier which was batch number 2 after 28 days in secondary, will put up something in another thread about that though.

Not convinced the German Weissbier is for me, seemed a bit bland.

The finished product, certainly no shortage on carbonation that's for sure.
https://www.justbrewart.com.au/media/german_weissbier_batch2.3/

GMoney

BrewArt Rookie
I had a tester in a coke bottle which was the dregs which was only 12 days into secondary. I'm leaving the rest of the bottles and the keg for 6 weeks to take on my trip away.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Highlands IPA kegged after 9 days and Bavarian Lager kicked off, expect this to take a bit longer, was a last minute decision as I wanted to do the APA again (my favourite granted out of 2 batches I've tried by a long way).t thus far.

Only 5 kegs left to fill so will do the APA once I empty a couple of kegs or may even bottle some half a dozen or so.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Bavarian Lager kegged tonight and Irish Red Ale will be on very shortly after sanitising takes place.

Have the Coopers Pale Ale which has been sitting around in a keg for 4 weeks so time to give it a test run.

Also have a bottle of stout in there @ 3 weeks so interested to see how that fairs considering still fairly 'green'.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
I think it might have been yourself who said the Irish Red was good, typically not something I would have chosen so thought what the heck something different may as well have a crack.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Just put the German Weissbier in the BrewFlo, after 2 months of secondary really looking forward to it.

The last one was a cracker in my opinion and probably my favourite to date.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Well I think certainly a keeper for the German Weissbier needs a little some extra but worth while, pouring each beer style or conditioning level seems to vary as this one I had to have the tap in a fully open position whereas the first keg was the exact opposite.

Big screw up this morning kegging the APA, first keg no worries, second keg didn't realise the o-ring had come off the filling tube connector until after I had put the hops, primer in and swapped over the keg liner.

End result beer coming out of the filling lid, thinking the keg liner was blocked swapped out with another one before realising the o-ring was still on the other keg this was in between a mad scramble cleaning out the keg to get rid of the beer which ended up down the bottom.

Will see how it carbonates otherwise will put the spare primer I have to good use, amazingly the first time I could actually smell hops!

On a positive note 16 kegs full and the Bavarian Lager has been put on which I'll probably end up bottling if I don't finish a couple of kegs in the time it takes to ferment.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Tried the Coopers Pale Ale with 2 H6 pouches, terrible idea.

Sat in secondary for 45 days, was just pure head like we had some issues with the German Weissbier but this topped that without a doubt.

The head was easily on par with a commercial product but just way too much of it, used the same beer line for the Lighthouse Pacific Pale and no issues at all.

Did taste nice though just unfortunate I didn't get a photo.

Jaydub

BrewArt Rookie
Do you think the extra hops was the cause of the head issue. I wouldn’t think the extra hops would cause the beer to be overly heady.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Don't drink a huge amount well rather that frequently, if its 40 degree I'll pour one after work other than that 2 or 3 on a Friday night with a mate and that's it.

Do it more for the enjoyment over anything else plus its a toy :) Doesn't help that at the moment I'm trying a different style each week so a number of them have a couple of glasses out of them and that's it.

That's the only thing different about that keg, 2 pouches of H6 nothing else was changed, you could literally see the foam in the beer line.

In the head you could certainly taste the hops, I wouldn't have thought so either which is why I'm perhaps thinking of trying it another with another batch down the track to confirm that to be the case.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Belgian Lager kegged this morning, pouch of hops went in and will wait until tomorrow to bottle the remainder.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Preparation is underway for the Lawn Mower Lager, will be going in under an hour :D

Going to try a hop tea for this one at kegging time.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
First time so might be off but my thinking is maybe 20g Galaxy in each keg.

Fill a coffee plunger with 100-200ml of boiling water, put in the hops and stir around.

Let it stand for 20 minutes then plunge away, tip that into the keg and fill as per normal.

Well that’s the plan but whether it works is another story.

Dean

BrewArt Rookie
Darren,

How do you make the hop tea? When do you put it in?

Cheers
Kaz
You can get Hop bags on eBay then put hops in that & add to a saucepan of hot water , let sit for awhile & let the tea cool then add to the brew hop bag & all , that's how I did it.

Darren

Site Administrator
Staff member
Actually don't mind the hop bag idea, used to do it for all grain so ended up grabbing one, won't know until you give it a try.

How much did you find the required amount for each batch, 40g for both kegs too much? Or trial and error, a starting point would be handy though.

Johnno

BrewArt Rookie
Bavarian Lager kegged tonight and Irish Red Ale will be on very shortly after sanitising takes place.

Have the Coopers Pale Ale which has been sitting around in a keg for 4 weeks so time to give it a test run.

Also have a bottle of stout in there @ 3 weeks so interested to see how that fairs considering still fairly 'green'.
G’day Darren I’m Matt I recently got the Polska porter as I read it has good keeping qualities,i’d Be keen to hear what your stout goes like and what style it is cheers